The inscription, located at 6 King Edward Street, reads as follows:
IN THIS HOUSE THE RIGHT
HON. CECIL JOHN RHODES
KEPT ACADEMICAL RESIDENCE
IN THE YEAR 1881.
THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECT-
ED BY ALFRED MOSELY
IN RECOGNITION OF THE
GREAT SERVICES RENDERED
BY CECIL RHODES TO
This plaque was dedicated to Cecil Rhodes (1853-1902) four years after his death, in 1906. It was paid for by Alfred Mosely, a former associate of Rhodes and Cape diamond merchant.
The location of the plaque refers directly to Rhodes' time in Oxford, as he lived in a student accommodation at 6 King Edward Street (owned by Oriel College) during some of his time at the University of Oxford (1873-1881). Because of his poor health, he went back and forth between England and South Africa, only obtaining his B.A. and M.A. degrees in 1881.
Oriel College raised the possibility to remove the inscription in 2015, in coordination with the Oxford City Council, as:
"The plaque is not listed but consent is required for its removal because it is within a conservation area.”
Maylam, Paul. The Cult of Rhodes : Remembering an Imperialist in Africa, 2005.
17 December 2015, statement by Oriel College.