XXXVII. St Mary Hall

Commentary
XXXVII. St Mary Hall

St Mary Hall began in the rectory of St Mary’s Church, on the opposite of the High Street, and retained its name despite a period of close association with Oriel between 1324 and 1327.  In 1902, it was the last of the medieval halls to be dissolved; but parts of its buildings are preserved in St Mary’s Quad of Oriel College: the south range contains the hall and chapel rebuilt in 1639-40; the west range is mostly from the 18th century and the east range mostly from the 19th.